TECHNET Archives

September 2017

From:
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2017 18:50:15 +0000
In the first picture there is only a small amount of copper remaining from the end cap, on the top and bottom of the component. The solder is full of burnt particulate matter along the side of the part where the copper completely dissolved into the molten solder and released the gases and materials of the capacitor itself into the solder. It is apparent that an overheating/overtemp incident happened due to excessive heat applied by a solder iron tip. Reflow ovens typically never produce something like this.

In the picture 25 there is severe outgassing, I suspect again from an overtemp condition. I note that there is also damage to the PWB surface and it goes up the side of the center of the cap. This appears to be from placing a solder iron alongside the part, as if attempting to heat both terminations at the same time, for a long enough time to really cook out the gases into the SJ. That is what all of the black particulate matter is in the SJs that display this; burnt material, or actually a form of dross from leaving the solder molten for too long a time.

The picture CS  and pocket Left displays a normal Reflow solder joint including a small void, which is perfectly normal.

The  pocket right picture shows total dewetting or dissolution of the copper, similar to 25.

The pocket left picture shows an enlarged view of a normal solder joint (enlarged view of same SJ in CS picture)