TECHNET Archives

August 2017

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2017 09:17:28 -0500
My esteemed colleague refers to another of the half fractional elements,
Solomonium-46.5 (So-46.5).  The metal, in its pure form, is a bright and
lustrous metal very similar to silver.  But exposure to the atmosphere and
with age, becomes a tarnished and degraded appearance (much like Solomon).
Unfortunately, it does not have the same alloying properties as silver.
Ancient silversmiths experimented with chalices made of silver with small
amounts of Solomonium added.  They found that Solomonium was mildly soluble
in ethanol. The Greek philosopher Demetrius of Phalerum noted that those
who consistently drank wine and spirits from Solomonium chalices seemed
wiser than other people and hypothesized that Solomonium enhanced wisdom,
as evidenced by Solomon himself.  On the down side, Solomonium is an
accumulative biotoxin, much like Mercury, and will slowly poison people
with time.  Solomonium appears to be easily incorporated into barley and so
the early Sumerians had very trace amounts of Solomonium in their beers.
Barley continues to be the main sustainable source of Solomonium, and to a
lesser extent, rice.  Small amounts of S02NO4 (in the ppb range) can be
found in Miller, Budweiser, and Coors, at that is why you often feel much
wiser than you are after a few beers.

Solomonium was originally part of the research performed by Andrew Oddy.
When Oddy tried to combine coupons of Solomonium, Silver, Lead, and Copper,
he found the Solomonium to be highly antagonistic to the other metals,
generating incredible amounts of heat.  Bamberger, Robinett and Thickett,
who were performing similar research, wisely stayed about a mile away
during the experiments.  All that was found of Dr. Oddy was a mound of ash,
surrounded by the charred remains of his lab.  Truly a tragedy.  In
reviewing the results, Bamberger, Robinett and Thickett said “let’s not do
that”, then went out to have a few beers.

So, Dave, what do I win this week?

Doug Pauls
Principal Materials and Process Engineer
Rockwell Collins