TECHNET Archives

August 2017

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2017 09:06:04 -0500
Hi Steve - We use a number of "bga style" connectors where there is a
solder charge/preform on the connector which is designed to combine with
the solder paste deposit creating sufficient solder volume and good solder
joint integrity. I am not familiar with the having these types of
connectors with "dried flux" - flux has a shelf life so the manufacturer's
comment doesn't make much sense. From a practical point, the flux in the
solder paste deposit is doing the bulk of the oxide scrubbing action so
dried flux contribution is most likely a moot point. But - the fact that
the manufacturer did not acknowledge the possible shelf life issue is
dis-concerning.

Dave Hillman
Rockwell Collins