TECHNET Archives

August 2017

From:
GRIVON Arnaud <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, GRIVON Arnaud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2017 12:43:16 +0200
Hello TechNet,

Here is a query I got that falls more on PCB design side and slightly outside my boundaries...
Trying the TechNet shortcut as this is probably the quietest week of the year with most people being in vacation...

The question is on the rules and requirements regarding the ESD susceptibility symbol at PCB level.
The yellow/black symbol is well-known for electronic components, but how should it be implemented at PCB level ?
All PCB assemblies include ESD sensitive components, so shall it be done systematically or can it be missed ?
If needed, how should it be done : by affixing labels or are etched symbols of PCB also an option ? Does it have to be close to the most ESD sensitive part locations or is it intended to be a global marking for the whole PCBA ?

As far as I can see, the ANSI/ESD S8.1 standard mentions marking at PCB level (Quote : "The ESD susceptibility symbol should be used on assemblies and devices that have a sensitivity to ESD events") but is clearly more focused on marking at the component packaging level (Quote : "The symbol may be incorporated on a sticker used to close or seal ESD protective packaging to indicate that materials inside the package are ESD susceptible").

Thanks in advance for your any clue.

Best regards,

Arnaud Grivon