TECHNET Archives

August 2017

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2017 14:20:56 +0000
The term "nickel silver" evolved because it was considered a replacement for more expensive and lower tensile strength alloys used at the time for woodwind instrument keys. Kind of an advertisement as an "improved" silver.

I hadn't heard "german silver" before, but it makes sense as a derogatory comeback to that advertising slogan, much the same as you could say a "Chinese Rolex".

Wayne