TECHNET Archives

August 2017

From:
"Nutting, Phil" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Nutting, Phil
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2017 20:04:05 +0000
Andy,

I know this answer is outside what most would suggest, but I offer it a something that worked on usually non-solderable materials.  I'm sure the chemists in the group will have their heads pop with this suggestion.

I haven't tried that but I have soldered stainless steel with 63/37 solder and La-Co Industries N-3 All Purpose flux found at McMaster-Carr as p/n 7696A1.  The SDS suggests it contains zinc chloride, ammonium chloride and hydrochloric acid.  I was impressed by the success of the soldering, but my application was not electronics.  It must be cleaned with lots of water.

We did use it for soldering a drain wire to a stainless steel foil transformer shield that was then wound into the transformer.

Phil Nutting