TECHNET Archives

August 2017

From:
George Wenger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, George Wenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2017 21:36:18 -0400
Bev, Bev, Bev,

I agree, however, the pictures Steve sent to Steve post were entitled
Head-In-Pillow and also Wikipedia lists "Head-in-pillow defect".  I'm more
concerned about what is causing Steve's problem that what it is called.

HIP HOP, HIP HOP, HIP HOP

Head-in-pillow defect
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the assembly of integrated circuit packages to printed circuit boards, a
head-in-pillow defect is a failure of the soldering process. For example, in
the case of a ball grid array package, the pre-desposited solder ball on the
package and the solder paste applied to the circuit board may both melt, but
the melted solder does not join. A cross-section through the failed joint
shows a distinct boundary between the solder ball on the part and the solder
paste on the circuit board, rather like a section through a head resting on
a pillow.[1]