TECHNET Archives

July 2017

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2017 14:12:13 -0500
Here is the Element Quiz Question:

The Question:
This element will decompose in water and rust in moist air. It has 4
allotrophic forms. There is lots of this element around - it is the 10th
most abundant element in the earth's crust. This element is found in many
foods, including beans, bananas and tea. The US nickel coin and the US
dollar coin are historically connected by this element. What element is
being described?

The Answer:
The element is Manganese (Mn). Manganese plays an important role in human
health as part of our antioxidant system and in plants for photosynthetic
oxygen evolution. Due to the shortage of nickel during WWII, an alloy of
copper/silver/manganese was used from 1942-1945 for US nickels and since
2000, US dollar coins use a copper/manganese alloy. For both cases, the use
of manganese duplicates the electromagnetic properties of previous coinage
alloys making the vending machine industry very happy.

The winner of the quiz is Leland Woodall and he will get the services of Clumpy
and Kloumpios for the week.

Leland - which clue gave it away to you? Lots of folks submitting guess but
only yours for Mn.

So far Clumpy and Kloumpios have done the following:

Past Quiz winners/tasks:
Week 1 Ravinder Ajmani, Western Digital
Week 1 Ron Feyereisen, SigmaTron Intl.
Week 2 Louis Hart, Compunetics
Week 3 Mark Kostinovsky, Schlumberger Ltd.
Week 3 John Burke
Week 4 Drew Meyer, Benchmark Electronics
Week 5 No Winner - no correct responses!
Week 6 Bhanu Sood, NASA
Week 7 Keith Calhoun, Sopark Corp
Week 7 Ian Fox, Rolls Royce
Week 8 Leland Woodall
Week 8 David Bealer, SMT
Week 9 Tom Carroll, Boeing
Week 10 Louis Hart, Compunetics
Week 11 Tom Carroll, Boeing
Week 11 Scott Decker, UTAS
Week 12 Matthias Mansfeld, Mansfeld Elektronik PCB Design and Assembly
Week 13 No Quiz,
Week 14 Matthias Mansfeld, Mansfeld Elektronik PCB Design and Assembly
Week 15 Bhanu Sood, NASA
Week 16 John Maxwell
Week 17 Leland Woodall
Week 18 Leland Woodall
Week 19 Tom Carroll, Boeing
Week 20 Robert Kondner
Week 21 Tom Brendlinger, ClearMotion Inc.
Week 22 Carl Van Wormer, Cipher Engineering LCC
Week 23 Juliano Ribeiro, DATACOM
Week 24 Gerry Gagnon, FLIR Commercial Systems
Week 25 Graham Collins, Sunsel Systems
Week 26 Joyce Koo, IPC International
Week 26 Todd MacFadden, Bose
Week 27 Bhanu Sood, NASA

Week 28 Leland Woodall
- It was good to see the guys over the 4th of July week, and since our
plant was off on shutdown, we spent a lot of time on and around the golf
course.  Not only are they handy with lawnmowers, but they're great caddies
as well!

Week 29 Mordechai Kirshenbaum
- You picked a bad time to send the boys to Israel. This weekend is going
be very hot and very humid in Tel Aviv (92 F and 80% RH) and extremely hot
inside the country (117 F in the Jordan Valley). I have arranged for them a
hotel in Tel Aviv, near the Mediterranean Sea so the boys will enjoy the
cool air in the hotel or run 100 yard and enjoy the sea. The weather is
going to cool down on Monday so they can go out the hotel and do some paper
work. I shall take care that they drink enough water.

Week 30 Leland Woodall
- assisted with ????

I hope everyone has a awesome week.

Dave Hillman