TECHNET Archives

June 2017

From:
Joe Russeau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2017 17:25:51 -0400
Hello Rich,

To the best of my knowledge, I am not aware of a statement to that affect in
any IPC document that I have read.  If there is such a statement, then I
would say it is an erroneous one and needs to be addressed.  There is HPLC
grade IPA, which usually refers to 99.5% or higher purity.  There is also
Electronic-grade IPA, which has the same purity as HPLC.  Then there is
Technical grade IPA, which I believe is usually classified as anything above
90% purity.  IPA is a chemical and its percentage of purity doesn't define
whether or not it is still an "IPA",  it's chemical formula defines that.
The % only defines how much junk is left behind in the solvent.  Now, there
are IPC methods that deal with the percentage of the starting IPA, such as
the ROSE and Ion Chromatography methods, and the reason is to minimize
adding error into the measurement system that could skew the results for an
actual sample.  If there is a statement as you indicate below, can you ask
whoever told you that which IPC document states such a thing?  If not, I
wonder if someone might have misread that part of the document

Best Regards,

Joe Russeau