TECHNET Archives

June 2017

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2017 17:14:38 -0400
Dean,
I agree with George, Joyce and Andy.  When Joyce and I were at BB we had two
Fischer XDAL machines. Totally agree with Andy with regards to not reaching
0.001% accuracy.  Generally I would say +/- 5% if you are talking about ENIG
gold thickness and +/- 10% if you are talking about ENIG nickel thickness.
Can't remember results for % composition results.

Most machines can do U down to, crap! I can't remember the lower limit. But
I do know if you want to do elements like F and lower you would need a
machine that can be evacuated.  Sure adds to the price!

Now I will go on my usual rant against handheld machines.
1) Aperture is such that you would need a pile of chip caps to get a reading
rather than say one lead of 20 mil width, which is all you need for a good
machine from Fischer, Oxford or Horiba.
2) easy to drop
3) easy to lose (or have stolen)
4) In some jurisdictions the licensing is onerous.

Regards,
Bev