TECHNET Archives

June 2017

From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2017 13:32:21 +0000
One thing I have experienced with companies on the commercial side of the industry is that with the advent of lead-free processes and higher reflow temperatures there are more "baked-on" flux residues (both water soluble and no-clean) and other hardened residues that the cleaning processes (if used) cannot clean, and because those residues are not only entrapped but baked on, the ROSE solvents do not pull them out very well for measurement. That is the basic fault of the ROSE system, it can be a pretty good "indicator" but you cannot judge cleanliness by that process alone. In the instances where things such as corona or power leakage took place, when I did the failure analysis and carefully removed component(s), I often found hardened flux high water marks around the circumference of the inner area under the component, and within that area both water-soluble AND no-clean sticky flux residues were present that had contributed to both power leaks which turned into carbonized deposits leading to catastrophic failure, and also on large processor components where the temporarily or partially entrapped sticky flux led to signal crosstalk and other similar issues. The fallacy that no-clean flux residues are harmless because "100% of no-clean flux is inerted by the reflow temperatures" and are thus harmless is a very dangerous assumption. What happens is that the very minor flux residues (from solder paste during reflow) around the perimeter of large flat powerpak components, D-paks, large 1206 caps, etc,  will harden, but near the center the flux is still an inactivated OR still active residue, especially with hot gas or hot air reworked components. Even with oven profiles that reach lead-free temperatures above 245 C there are places where partially entrapped flux may never reach temperatures above 200 C, and for much shorter periods of time such as only a few seconds. 1206 and larger caps especially are problematic simply because the terminations are right at the ends of the component body and the pads are often partially under the component body at each end. When paste is deposited the flux residue is already entrapped when the component is placed. Proper pad design where the inner edge of the large flat component pads do not go under the component body helps immensely but does not completely eliminate the problem. D-Pak power transistors/diodes acting as a rectifier circuit quite often have a belly pad where a deposit of paste leaves an entrapped flux reside deposit that is difficult to remove after two lead-free reflows for a double-sided CCA, and the downward spiral begins there. Non-activated flux is trapped not only between the PWB surface and the component surface but is also dammed in by the hardened flux around the perimeter, but not completely around it, and later if the dam breaks or is not fully sealed, a path is provided for electrical leakage and moisture exposure and this leads to all kinds of bad news. For CCAs like this, I like to see ROSE measurements at the 10 minute interval show 0 or less than .1 equivalent units. ROSE testing has to be accompanied by periodic ion chromatography testing to ensure the CCA is clean enough or at least the residues are not allowing a path for high power leakage or signal crosstalk, let alone active enough to lead to corrosion or other reactive issues. Even inactive sticky residues can present a path for signals or power that defeat the designed performance of the circuit.