TECHNET Archives

June 2017

From:
Bob Wettermann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bob Wettermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:55:00 -0500
All:

After the last discussion of masking tape I happened to be involved soon
thereafter in a time study of using re-usable "boots"/"caps"/"plugs" to
protect components in the conformal coating process.

Like most who perform coating we spend an AWFUL lot of time masking and
demasking in these projects and are always looking for the best method.

We have used the silicone-based boots and have been successful on larger
repeated projects to use them 250-300X. They are fine for spray coating for
medium density boards.

The time to mask and demask ,depending on the complexity of the part and
coating being applied as well as the application method determines whether
or not the boots make sense. We are partial to the silicone-based boots
(though with the caveat described in the previous posting about trying to
get silicone out of the shop-especially for medical applications).

I am wondering if there have been any favorite materials for these boots
amongst the coating community other than silicone?  If so how do you find
the boot matches your process and actually derives the time-savings benefit.

Thanks

--
Bob Wettermann
BEST Inc