TECHNET Archives

June 2017

From:
Joyce Koo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2017 16:26:11 -0400
cdn.intechweb.org/pdfs/9635.pdf
FYI.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
  Original Message
From: Wayne Thayer
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2017 16:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Reply To: TechNet E-Mail Forum
Subject: Re: [TN] Diving into Embedded Capacitance

Hi Pete-

A number of years ago, DuPont was hawking a version of very thin copper clad polyimide with a product name like "speed core". The idea was you put supply and ground on those two, and laminated the rest of the board on outsides. I attended a seminar on it, curious as to why this would be a good solution when embedded caps were coming on line--clearly polyimide, with a dielectric constant of a bit over 3, is not going to get you a boatload of capacitance. The reply was that inductance between power and ground actually has a larger effect than the addition of capacitance--and they had some papers to back that up (Sorry, I don't have copies, but I'll bet you can find info on this if you look around.)

The actual amount of capacitance you can get with embedded capacitors isn't huge. After all, it would be pretty surprising if the relatively crude construction techniques in pcb construction could approach a purpose-made capacitor having far fewer constraints. But most of the embedded capacitor solutions are similar to the DuPont product in that they keep the distance between power and ground minimal to get rid of inductance.

How much capacitance do you need? The answer is very simple: Since most of everything we design is digital, and since 99.999% of digital consists of MOSFETs used as switches, you simply evaluate how many of these are switching at the same time and design in enough capacitance that it won't cause any of the power supply specifications to be violated. Very simple concept, but entirely impractical to calculate due to the unknowns of the internal workings of the logic parts. So you either put the amount of capacitance in recommended by the manufacturer, or you take a guess based on past experience, or you start with what is recommended and then yank parts off until the noise on the power supply is too high.

Also, you can put plenty of capacitance in and then connect to it badly. The ultrathin core technology makes it a bit easier to connect to it correctly.

As you guessed--no easy answer!

Wayne