TECHNET Archives

June 2017

From:
Bob Wettermann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bob Wettermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2017 10:26:32 -0500
Bob:

We have presented some work at APEX and other places comparing manual
stencil printing with other techniques.
https://www.smtnet.com/library/files/upload/plastic-vs-metal-stencils.pdf

A "how to" is here:
http://www.soldertools.net/prototype-stencil-printing-process/

We are in the PCB proto assembly business and will manually print small run
jobs with medium pitches. We are doing this successfully using ultra fine
grain SS "foil only" stencils. Confirm with SPI.

The technique is strictly manual and therefore relies on the tech to get
all of the variables that a modern printer controls, consistent.

A manual printer will not help you control squeegee speed, snap off,
squeegee pressure and other critical printing variables and therefore in
our experience in going to this "baby step" it just is not worth the
effort.

 Use a semi or fully-automatic printer (get a used one to become familiar
with the set up and the variables) if you choose to go to this route.

Based on what you described hand printing is still your best option using
trained techs, the best stencil materials and confirm w/SPI.

Bob/BESTProto

--
Bob Wettermann
BEST Inc