TECHNET Archives

May 2017

From:
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2017 19:52:32 -0400
victor, do you mean fracture of the laminate (cratering)?  it is not
what spec calls, it is what your design process dictates IMHO.
normally, you have 5 or 6 reflow, top and bottom SMT, (2x) selective
BGA (if it is high value added parts) attach (you test SMT 1st before
that attach.  That could be a temperature sensitive part too (1x),
underfill  cure (if you use reflow cure for the fast cure underfill)
(1x), selective reflow or edge connector attach if in need (1x)  plus
allowable 2X rework maximum.  if your PWB can not withstand the 6x
reflow as design required, either your design MFG process need to
change, PWB need to change, or you work until your back off to
eliminate the rework (basically, your PWA is throw away if any defect
present, if it is cheap assembly, no big deal.  If it is very pricy
and limited qty (high mix, small volume, like aircraft control
board), you change PWB and design.  Just make sure your design  notes
(MFG  instruction) red lined "any rework is not allowed" and get
program mgr signed off on it.  Otherwise, you have a big headache and
finger  pointing when field return  piled up (down to the line,
someone somewhere want  to repair it, "just a touch up").  my 1.4
cents. (by the way, your reliability qual should be using reworked
part, for shake and bake, thermal shock, etc. worst case).
jk