TECHNET Archives

May 2017

From:
Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2017 15:16:32 +0000
Thanks for the deeper explanation.

For “narrow” traces embedded in pre-preg, the common assumption is that the dielectric thickness above the trace (or below if the pre-preg is on that side) will be the “cured sheet value” of the pre-preg less the trace thickness. For “fat” traces, you don’t subtract the trace thickness. Obviously there is a transition between “narrow” and “fat”, but it usually gets lost in the noise of etch accuracy and pre-preg standard thickness variation. Other variables affecting that are pre-preg flow viscosity, lamination time/pressure/temperature, and press pad thickness. Bottom line is that hitting within 10% of target is doing pretty well, and getting tighter than that will require careful process control and calibration. Another variable is how well the “ground planes” are electrically connected to the signal generator and receiver (via construction and placement).

I think I’ve seen Polar’s output, but if it is using the area, perhaps it is trying to generate the “narrow”/”fat” tweaks, in any case I’m not seeing that being able to eliminate calibration if high accuracy is needed.

Wayne