TECHNET Archives

April 2017

From:
Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Brian Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2017 10:17:45 +0300
Doug (and Dave)

My mind is blown. My only reaction could be WOW!

I cast my own mind back to school. In 1948, I left with Uni entry certs
including a Higher with credit in chemistry (also in physics). I
recollect we were quite strong in inorganic chemistry and we touched on
organic with the simple linear compounds. One thing that sticks in my
mind over 70 years later is C17H35COOH and its reaction with hard water
in a study on soaps, but I don't think we were even told the
significance (or even the name) of the carboxyl group other than its
reaction between the dissolved Ca and the stearic acid. We certainly
didn't learn about bond types. Yes, we had the periodic table but, at
that time, it ended at 92 and I'm not even sure that all the names were
the same as today. Remember, we were hardly out of the phlogiston era :)

Well done, you!

Brian