TECHNET Archives

March 2017

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2017 13:10:56 -0500
Here is the Element Quiz Question:

The Question:
This element is used in medical treatments: (1) one of its radioactive
isotopes is used to treat cancer; (2) one of this element's salts is
injected as an internal treatment for rheumatoid arthritis. This element
has been used by mankind for thousands of years. About one milligram of
this element exists in every ton of seawater. This element is an
excellent heat reflector. Which element is being described?

The Answer:
The element is Gold (Au). The element symbol for gold is derived from the
Latin word "aurum" which means "shining dawn". Gold is used on the windows
of skyscrapers as it reflects sunlight and saves energy costs. Gold is a
critical element in our electronics industry being used on printed circuit
assemblies and in component fabrication. Ernest Rutherford used a gold foil
in his famous experiments demonstrating atomic structure. Sodium
thiosulfate (AuNa3O6Cl4) is used as an injection treatment for Rheumatoid
Arthritis. However, gold and some of its compounds are toxic when ingested
resulting in kidney failure and rashes, making gold less popular for
medicinal purposes with newer medications being more effective.

The winner of the quiz  is  Leland Woodall and he will get the services of
Clumpy and Kloumpios for the week.

Doug's submission of "Odinium" was reviewed by FEQAB and was not accepted.
A review of  industry publications, primarily, *Metal Ions and their
Complexes in Medication*, CRC Press,  ISBN 978-0-8247-5351-1 did not reveal
any documented record of Odinium for Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Sorry Doug, better luck on the next quiz.

So far Clumpy and Kloumpios have done the following:

Past Quiz winners/tasks:
Week 1 Ravinder Ajmani, Western Digital
Week 1 Ron Feyereisen, SigmaTron Intl.
Week 2 Louis Hart, Compunetics
Week 3 Mark Kostinovsky, Schlumberger Ltd.
Week 3 John Burke
Week 4 Drew Meyer, Benchmark Electronics
Week 5 No Winner - no correct responses!
Week 6 Bhanu Sood, NASA
Week 7 Keith Calhoun, Sopark Corp
Week 7 Ian Fox, Rolls Royce
Week 8 Leland Woodall
Week 8 David Bealer, SMT
Week 9 Tom Carroll, Boeing
Week 10 Louis Hart, Compunetics
Week 11 Tom Carroll, Boeing
Week 11 Scott Decker, UTAS
Week 12 Matthias Mansfeld, Mansfeld Elektronik PCB Design and Assembly
Week 13 No Quiz,
Week 14 Matthias Mansfeld, Mansfeld Elektronik PCB Design and Assembly

Week 15 Bhanu Sood, NASA
- Clumpy and Kloumpios arrived safely from EU…swearing never to fly discount
airlines again. Soon after landing at Dulles, Clumpy and Kloumpios drove to
Goddard Space Flight Center where they toured the NASA campus including an
up close viewing of the James Webb Space Telescope which just completed
multi dof vibration testing. Although a clean tent currently covers JWST,
Clumpy managed a selfie before it gets moved into the Goddard acoustics
chamber where it will be exposed to the noise levels that arise from an
Ariane 5 launch. Both Clumpy and Kloumpios totally want to experience what
150 decibel racket would feel like. The boys are enjoying a warm week here
in the DC area, with the cherry blossoms almost a month ahead of
schedule, nobody’s
complaining!

Week 16 John Maxwell
- Picked Clumpy and Kloumpios at Dulles with the usual grousing about long
flights. Because this is their second visit I reminded them of their first
visit when the exhausted my collection of single malt scotch and found the
keys for my lawn mower. The neighbors had not forgotten them terrifying
neighborhood dogs and making unusual patterns in their lawns.

The lads understood and went to work clean up my documents and standards.
We had snow on Tuesday and they pitched in with the neighbors clearing
drives and side walks. On Wed I took them to the Manassas Bull Run civil
war battle field so they could understand our civil war and our history
better. Thursday when work was done we visited a couple of cider vineyards
and wineries. They enjoyed the Jefferson style hard cider very much. After
we were done on Friday off to a distillery for a tasting and lunch. Then
off to the airport for their next adventure. Perfect gentlemen and they
seemed to enjoy the side trips.

Week 17 Leland Woodall
- The boys asked for an easy week, so I set them loose with their John
Deeres.  They performed a spring yard clean-up for the entire subdivision.
Everyone wanted to know who these little fellas were, and it evolved into a
discussion about elements and TechNet. Don't think the neighbors will be
asking me any more questions anytime soon...

Week 18 Leland Woodall
- assisted with ????

I hope everyone has a awesome week!

Dave Hillman