TECHNET Archives

March 2017

From:
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2017 19:49:07 -0400
ENIG ground plane?  is that for a heat sink  attach?  or thermal
ground as well?  If the it is physical contact, you have problem.
check smoothness of the splash area and clamp force defined at
assembly level,  that allow any solder to be deformed and compliant
to the matting surface.  Lead free solder is very strong, not like
Lead solder. Chances are, you can't do it, unless some what hammer
it.   If it is using electrical contact, such as Ag paste, thermal
pads, etc.  depend upon what it is used, you may or may not impact
design intend (for example, there are evenly distributed thermal vias
for uniform heat distribution, it may or may not cause non-
uniformity).  If it is physical contact, such as key pads, No.  any
solder splash is not allowed (visual inspection 20X - stereo
microscope , validated using anything you want - including SEM/EDX,
including flux residue, finger print, etc. etc.), anything will cause
intermittent... It all depend upon your application and voltage (key
pad, voltage is low, more sensitive to change contact resistance).
Of course, if ENIG intend to be as corrosion protector, such as
exposed to corrosive environment, your splash just not meet the
design intend.  -  your build instruction should all spell out with
acceptable process parameter.  If you inherited prior product, that
without splash, you would need to find out what changed...(usually
the qual unit is done without any issues, move from proto to MFG, it
is always someone what "relax the spec".  your proto engineer should
nail  it  all  down (if proto can do it with smaller,usually inferior
tooling, why not large scale, better generation of  tooling?) in
build instruction.  my 1.4 cents.
   jk