TECHNET Archives

February 2017

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2017 08:05:17 -0700
Another phenomena that can happen with soldermask fillers is something that
you see here:

 http://stevezeva.homestead.com/ZebraStripes.jpg

This is a board that came out of a inline DI board wash with the stripes
that you see that matches the mesh conveyor links. Technet gurus Brian
Ellis and Bill Kenyon posted this a long time ago:

Brian Ellis: "There are a number of potential causes. A common one is
the exposure of
solder mask fillers because the cleaning removes the surface molecules
of the solder mask. This is largely cosmetic but it may mean the mask is
insufficiently cured. As you state (or I did in the earlier exchange!),
heat will allow the filler to sink in."

Bill Kenyon: "Quick identification of the (solder mask) residue- if it
is the white
powder fumed silica used to thicken liquid solder masks, you will often
see it appear as Brian has noted. If the solder mask is undercured, any
cleaning step may strip off part of the green solder mask, exposing the
white thickener powder (typical trade name is 'Cab-O-Sil"). Heat the
white area with a heat gun. If the residue is the Cab-O-Sil, the heat
softened solder mask will allow the Cab-O-Sil to sink back into the
green solder mask.
Residue disappears, problem is insufficient UV cure during solder mask
processing."

And yes, applying heat did cure the stripes. Baked the boards in a
oven for about 1/2 hour and the stripes went away...

Steve

--

This email and any attachments are only for use by the intended
recipient(s) and may contain legally privileged, confidential, proprietary