TECHNET Archives

February 2017

From:
Dennis Saputelli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Dennis Saputelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2017 09:48:33 -0800
i have done quite a few of these and have learned a lot the proper way,
by doing it wrong in several different way. several times

my experience is that mouse bytes *do not work* in ALPCB, i had a
terrible time with them and wound up having to saw with a miniature
precision table saw and then deburr
the tab width was not excessive, re-drilling the mouse holes larger did
not help, they were just a total mess, little points, metal slivers
(however i know people do use them, beats me)

OTOH the V-cuts have worked like a dream
i do not specify any particulars wrt depth angle and so on, i do this on
purpose as a good shop knows best and every board has its own little story

they break easily by hand and the edges are clean, bottom is smooth and flat

i don't know for sure about machine singulation such as slitting
machines for FR4 V-cuts, but i think they work for ALPCB if you allow
for the blade width of 0.5mm either side

if the boards are very narrow (around 6mm side) they are too narrow to
lay side by side and V-cut and you must route a gap but at around >=12mm
it is ok

for your pear shape panel it is a close call, the shop that says it may
be too flimsy may well be right
i have just done something similar

can you tolerate a small bump on the sides? at the "hips" ?
if so i would put a tab there and v-cut thru it
many modern machines can do a skip score and cut just there or cut the
whole way vertically should be ok too

or if not maybe a pair of cuts at the  edges
let us know how it goes
ds