TECHNET Archives

February 2017

From:
Matthias Mansfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Matthias Mansfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2017 21:00:15 +0100
On 3 Feb 2017 at 13:17, David Hillman wrote:

> Here is the Element Quiz Question:
>
> The Question:
> This element was discovered as a result of experimentation with electrodes
> for batteries. This element is an important industrial chemical. A hydride
> of of this element makes an effective booster for rocket fuel. The pure
> form of this element does not exist in nature. A specific isotope of this
> element causes semiconductor fabricators major problems. Which element is
> being described?
>
> The Answer:
> The element is Boron (B).  Sir Humphry Davy is credited with the discovery
> of boron as part of his experimentation with electrodes for batteries.
> French chemists also are given some credit for the discovery of boron for
> similar work. Boron has a multitude of commercial uses. A boron hydride
> combine with hydrogen makes a great rocket fuel booster. Cosmic radiation
> can cause a boron-10 isotope in a semiconductor package to produce a gamma
> ray, an alpha particle, and a lithium ion resulting in a phenomena called
> single event upset (bit flopping) - not a good thing for your electronics!
>

> The winner of the quiz is Matthias Mansfeld, and will get the services of
> Clumpy and Kloumpios for the week. The boys are quite eager to go work for
> Matthias again as it has been awhile since their last visit.

Yeah, that is great!

The boys can help me to compare a reverse-engineered old multilayer
layout against the x-rays from the original (no data, no schematics,
no gerbers at all available, but the urgent need for some spare
units....), can coil some dozens RF toroids and last, but not least
(if they aren't allergic against cats) can entertain our tomcats*
(who are not amused at the ugly wet wet thaw here...). I've heard
Clumpy and Kloumpios can meanwhile apparate and disapparate like
Harry Potter, thus there is no need to pick them up from the next
airport (would be MUC)?

Best regards
Matthias Mansfeld

* if there is no snow and mud outside: see
http://www.frickenhoehle.de/katz/20141224_Katzenkarte2014_bgnd.jpg
hehe, cat content has reached TechNet... :-)

--
Unsere Korrespondenz kann mitgelesen werden. Wollen Sie das
erschweren, mailen wir uns gerne mit (Open)PGP verschlüsselt.