TECHNET Archives

January 2017

From:
George Wenger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, George Wenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2017 16:13:47 -0500
We as usual I have to agree with Dave Hillman and Richard Stadem.  The point that Joyce made about nitrogen allowing you to lower the Tp a couple of degrees an make minor changes to the reflow profile are correct and they may have a very minor impact on warpage but to the best of my knowledge the impact wouldn't be large enough to measure much less make a difference.  All of my experience with condensation reflow soldering (i.e., vapor phase) was before BGAs so I don't have any direct data but vapor phase is a much more uniform heating process and would therefore have an impact on board and part warpage and might be helpful but  I don't think you would have to run a trial to see if it would be helpful enough.

George