TECHNET Archives

January 2017

From:
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2017 16:31:48 +0000
I would have to agree. Unless the fixtures have 150,000 gold pins and the dis-assembly and gold stripping process can be automated, I don't see any payback. There are too many questions to say for sure, such as how many pins, how many fixtures are we talking about, what is the thickness of gold on the pins, what is the geometry of the pins, then what is the amount of gold per pin and its purity after removal, what is the process for removing the gold and the cost, etc., etc.

Now, RECYCLING of the gold pins may be a viable option, but again you would need to know the answers as to how many pin penetrations can be done before the pins don't work anymore, cost of removing and re-using pins on new test fixtures versus using new pins, pin wear rate, reliability loss and cost of false opens, and so on and so forth.