TECHNET Archives

January 2017

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jan 2017 08:14:54 -0600
Hello Victor - the problem you have encountered is due to the nature of the
plating bath formulations. There are clear differences in an ENIG plating
bath and a Hard Gold plating bath due to the bath constituents along with
the plating deposit itself. The differences in bright acid tin plating and
matte tin plating doesn't appear to have the same distinguishing
characteristics. A number of the industry tin whisker committees I
participate on have investigated your question, hoping to produce a clear
definition of what a "bright acid" versus a "matte" tin plating would be.
The committees have not been able to find a consensus definition, partially
due to plating bath formulation proprietary information and partially due
to some of the difference between bright acid tin versus matte tin is the
plating deposition parameters. Plating deposit attributes such as a
distinguishing grain size  or a carbon content level were researched
without success. A very good reference on tin plating is: The
Electrodeposition of Tin and its Alloys, M. Jordan, ISBN3-87480-118-7. I am
not much of a believer in using visual appearance as a plating
identification method as sometimes you can get fooled.

Dave