TECHNET Archives

December 2016

From:
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2016 20:27:53 +0000
If it is just going to be used for baking out moisture and curing conventional epoxies such as Loctite, Zymet, Armstrong C7, Eccobond, etc, then it is typically no problem to cure them in a standard vented oven.
For flammables such as solvent-bearing conformal coatings and some potting compounds, paints, etc, you should use a Class A (explosion-proof) oven. These ovens have an air-purge system where the exhaust comes on for a certain amount of time prior to the heating elements being activated. This purges the chamber of any potential flammable solvent fumes so the heating element cannot cause ignition inside the chamber. Class A ovens typically come with a blowout panel on the back side of the oven, so if there is an explosion the back panel blows out against a wall. Used Class A ovens are somewhat harder to find, but they are out there. The problem is that most used equipment dealers don't know the difference between a convention oven, a Class A oven, and a hole in the wall (where a Class A oven probably should have been used). :-)
But it is better to be safe than sorry. You don't want to end up with a new company swimming pool, parking lot, or "atrium" or "courtyard".
You might try googling "class A oven, explosion-proof" and see what you can find.

Otherwise, I can recommend Shel Labs if you wanted a nice, large regular oven for less than $5K new. http://shellab.com/product/smo5-shel-lab-forced-air-oven-4-9-cu-ft/
I have at least 14 Shel Labs ovens currently working here at GD and at a couple other client locations, and I have been using these ovens continuously for more than 15 years, with no issues whatsoever.
None have ever failed or gone out of tolerance during that entire time, to my knowledge. I have to characterize these ovens as part of their qualification, and I place a mass such as a scrap circuit board with a TC attached in all of the different locations inside the oven to validate the monitored temperature does not vary by more than +- 3 deg. C, loaded or empty. They pass every time, very uniform throughout. The models I use are the FX-28-2 and FX-14. I am very happy with them.
Contact Kris Meacham at [log in to unmask], he is the rep.