TECHNET Archives

December 2016

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2016 17:08:29 -0500
TechNetters,
I seem to have lost the original e-mail and the subsequent ones before
Julie's. Not in my Delete folder either. Weird.  So hopefully I am not
repeating something someone has already covered.

Size AND number are important. If all the solder balls are microscopic but
all interball distances are each less than the minimum electrical clearance
there is potential for trouble.

I can't speak for the 610 committee, but I can say that the 5-24b Solder
Paste Task Group (under the leadership of Dr. Karen Tellefsen) which is
responsible for J-0005 (solder paste) and its associated TM-650 test methods
is rewriting the test method for solder balls.  We are including more
examples of various degrees of coalescence of the solder in one or more
solder balls because the four old photographs that originally came from the
Mil Spec are just not cutting it any more.  The new categories take into
account the sort of thing that is being discussed with relation to 610.

Julie,
It might be worthwhile to see if you can bring your company's
recommendations forward for a 610 discussion in San Diego.

And I haven't said anything about entrapment.  :)

Regards,
Bev Christian
HDP User Group Facilitator