DESIGNERCOUNCIL Archives

December 2016

DesignerCouncil@IPC.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
DesignerCouncil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2016 11:45:27 -0500
From:
Tom Brendlinger <[log in to unmask]>
We recently used the following notes to attempt to do precisely what you're
describing:
12.2 All vias 0.020" in diameter or less shall be plugged from top side
prior to primary soldermask application per IPC-4761 Type III. Plug
material shall be approved by Levant engineering before production begins.
12.3 Plugs in vias shall not protude above top of hole.
12.4 All plugged vias shall be filled at least 80% with fill.
12.5 Via plug integrity, fill percentage and protrusion shall be confirmed
with a microsection of a representative quality conformance coupon

However, after soldering about 30% of the at-risk holes had solder
flow-through. We didn't see bumps, just a thin layer of wetting, but we
only had 16 boards populated in this run so I don't think we have enough
data to show that we never would have that issue.

I am currently working with our PCB manufacturer to identify what happened,
but in my opinion this isn't a fully manufacturable solution. I'm
attempting to solve the same problem that you are, so I'm absolutely
interested in any other way to do this.

--
Tom Brendlinger, CID
Electrical Engineer