TECHNET Archives

October 2016

From:
George Wenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Oct 2016 13:51:22 +0000
Hi Bob,

Andy's correct that XRF is a very good method to measure gold thickness. What kind of gold plating are you trying to measure? Is it ENIG gold or electroplated gold? If you are trying to measure the immersion gold plating thickness on an ENIG PCB you will have difficulty doing it by cross section because the gold is typically thinner than 5 microinches and unless you have an excellent cross sectioning capability you can't get a very accurate gold plating thickness measurement.

George