TECHNET Archives

October 2016

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2016 15:57:12 -0500
Here is the Element Quiz Question

The Question:
This element is never found in its pure form in nature. It is estimated
that 75% of this element known sources are found in China but it can also
be found in Nebraska. The discoverer's of this element named this element
by a specific name but we use the Swedish word for "heavy stone" for the
official name thus causing lots of confusion. Which element is being
described?

The Answer:
The element is tungsten (W)! Brothers Don Juan Jose de Elhuyar and Don
Fausto de Elhuyar successfully isolated tungsten in 1783 and named the
element "wolframite" but about the same time the element was called "tung
sten" meaning "heavy stone" in Swedish. So the Periodic Table uses "W" for
the element symbol of tungsten! Tungsten has a melting temperature over
3400C so its one of the few metals that can glow white when heated without
melting which makes it great as a filament for light bulbs.

The winner of the quiz will get the services of Clumpy and Kloumpios for
the week. The Rockwell Collins firewall time stamp shows Ravinder Ajmani,
Western Digital and Ron Feyereisen, SigmaTron Intl. both provided the
correct answer at the same time so they will get the services of Clumpy and
Kloumpios.

Please email me with your facility locations and let me know what "tasks"
you are going to give to the guys to do.

So far Clumpy and Kloumpios have done the following:

Past Quiz winners/tasks:
Week 1 Ravinder Ajmani, Western Digital
-assisted with ???

Week 1 Ron Feyereisen, SigmaTron Intl.