TECHNET Archives

October 2016

From:
Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Douglas Pauls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Oct 2016 19:14:28 -0500
Oscar,
The answer is "It Depends".  Waterproofing can mean a lot of different
things, depending on the application.  Does it mean immersion to a certain
depth of water?  Does it mean that a stream of water running over the
electronics will not impede its function?  What are the consequences of
failure?

If you want to make something bulletproof against water, you pot it, either
with a waterproof gel like a silicone, or a waterproof foam.

Conformal coatings are OK for some applications, but it depends on the
application and what happens if the waterproofness fails.

What you are seeing for many of the consumer products is not what we
classically think of as conformal coatings.  These newer classes of
coatings are called by a variety of names: nanocoatings, ultra-thin
coatings, superhydrophobic coatings, etc.  Some are applied as very thin
liquids, others as chemical vapor deposition processes.  Hermetic sealing
is often a very expensive practice, so the expense is really justified if
it is a safety-critical or mission-critical item, certainly not for
consumer electronics.  For most consumer electronics, the cases are meant
to be very rugged, with the thin coatings sealing up up entrances to the
unit itself.  It can work a few times, but not regularly.

I know there are members on the forum who are examining the use of these
new materials as replacements for conventional coatings, or supplements to
coatings.  But in my experience, most of us have NDAs in place and won't
discuss them here.

Doug Pauls
Principal Materials and Process Engineer
Rockwell Collins