TECHNET Archives

October 2016

From:
Lee Hitchens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Lee Hitchens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Oct 2016 07:10:14 +0700
Hi Oscar

It is possible to waterproof boards with thin films without hermetically
sealing. We are working a lot with LED boards and they have to be
submerged in water while completing exposed.

Waterproofing with any film is down to many things. However I have found
the two key areas are the coverage of the coatings and the permeability of
the material.

The coverage relates to achieving a homogeneous film. Not so easy with a
liquid conformal coating. Down to application method, number of layers
applied. But it can be achieved. Or, you put the material on very thick.
Eg encapsulate or pot. Again, relates to the key areas.

Finally, you can choose a CVD type process that gives you the homogeneous
coating. Something like Parylene or MVD. We are experimenting with new
alternatives to Parylene that are also hydrophobic and lower permeability
so you get the great uniform protection but it repels water too. They are
also lower cost to manufacture compared to XY so that helps too.

I am presenting a paper on the new and old different technologies and
their waterproofing nature at Apex in San Diego in February. You can
contact me offline any time and I would be happy to discuss the results.

Best Regards

Dr Lee Hitchens

Visit us at:

IPC Apex Expo, San Diego, USA, 14-16th February 2017
SCH Technologies is a Division of SCH Services Limited
Mob: +66 (95) 418 5931

www.conformalcoating.co.uk
Skype: leehitchens

TECHNICAL SUPPORT SERVICE

SCH Services Ltd offers a Technical Support Helpline to help address all
 issues relating to reliability. This includes contamination testing,
cleanliness and cleaning issues, plus any coating related questions.

Please contact us via email or telephone: [log in to unmask] &  +44
(0)1226 249019 (office hours & answerphone)

The opinions expressed in this e-mail are strictly those of the sender
and not of SCH Services Limited. This communication may contain
information which is confidential and may also be privileged. It is for
the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorised use,
copying or disclosure of any of it may be unlawful. If you are not the
intended recipient(s) please note that any distribution, copying or use
of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this communication in error please notify us by
e-mail or by telephone (+44 (0)1226 249019) and then delete the e-mail
and any copies of it. Virus Warning - Although steps have been taken to
ensure that all email and attachments are virus-free, we cannot
guarantee nor be held liable.