TECHNET Archives

October 2016

From:
"Theodore J. Tontis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Theodore J. Tontis
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2016 14:29:50 +0000
Nigel,

CAF is more of a manufacturing defect due to drill bits pulling or breaking glass fibers in the laminate material. Placing via's close together increases the likelihood CAF will occur.

With HDI designs via prep is different. Most microvias are not drilled completely through the board, they are stacked. They can also be laser formed instead of drilled.  Ask the board supplier which process they are using.

Also, there is CAF resistant laminate material to help reduce CAF from occurring. If there is concern, reach out to your board supplier and ask them if they can provide you with CAF resistant laminate or at least share your concern with them. Your board supplier has a wealth of knowledge they would love to share with you.

No, there is no design guideline that will provide the minimum gap to make a robust design. There are far too many variables that would go into that decision making process. To name a few, end use environment, min voltage clearance, laminate material, .....

Best advice is to reach out to the board supplier and share your concerns. Most laminate suppliers have performed tests on their materials and can provide data. If it is a mission critical Design I would suggest creating test coupons and evaluating the materials yourself.

Ted