TECHNET Archives

September 2016

From:
Bob Wettermann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bob Wettermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2016 09:39:53 -0500
Pulsed UV lasers are pretty much the norm for depaneling now-a-days. With
high pulse rates the materials is ablated so you do not get the
charring/burning like you would with the CO2 lasers. Also there have been
studies about the delta T increases which are less than 100C.

These lasers can cut flex, rigid and metals.

The most often-cited reasons we depanel w/lasers include:

Tight mechanical tolerance of the PCB
Sensitive components near board edges
Components near the board edges that cannot withstand mechanical stresses
Unusual board shapes (IoT)

The speeds are in the range from 100 to 1000mm/sec.

Bob/BEST Inc

--
Bob Wettermann
BEST Inc