TECHNET Archives

August 2016

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2016 16:23:29 -0400
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the complement.

As Doug said, one does not generally use IR or FTIR for quantitative analysis - not in reflection, ATR or nujol mull mode. I MIGHT consider it if I was using the KBr pellet method and had a good analytical balance and was confident of my mixing ability and ability to get the WHOLE salt/sample into the disc. There are only two instances I would really ‎consider infra-red spectroscopy approaching a quantitative analytical method: liquid cell and gas cell applications. Why? Because in both you are guaranteed fixed path lengths for the infra-red light and perfect mixing (at least in the short term). But both are still predicated in knowing what one is looking for in advance and being able to make solutions of know concentrations to build proper calibration curves.

Regards,
Bev

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Bell network.