TECHNET Archives

August 2016

From:
Wayne Thayer - EXT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer - EXT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2016 22:09:39 +0000
As usual, I agree MOSTLY with Joyce, but ...

I've not seen a lot of success trying to increase joint height by using preforms to add more solder--usually that just makes shorts. You can try to use a spacer, which will work as long as you pay attention to the relative thermal expansion coefficient of the spacer vs. the solder.

In previous posts, I've railed against the IPC cop-out expression "evidence of wetting"--especially for class 3 assemblies which have parts with pads completely beneath the part. Also note that the "evidence" does not need to include wetting to the toe of the lead (the only part you have a prayer of seeing). HOWEVER, history seems to show that these concerns aren't as serious as some of us old geezers thought they would be. At least, I'm unaware of huge numbers of solder joint failures on QFN parts attributable to inadequate joint height, even in prototyping runs. And other parts with no leads, such as large ceramic capacitors do not seem to suffer from pre-mature failure due to inadequate solder beneath the part.

Wayne