TECHNET Archives

August 2016

From:
Carl Van Wormer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Carl Van Wormer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2016 14:27:04 +0000
Curve tracers can display a variety of ovals ranging from flat lines (at various slopes) to circles.  The results depend upon the settings of the curve tracer and the characteristics of the capacitor.  Curve tracers can be best used if you have a known good part and want to see if another part matches the good part under the conditions of the applied voltages and measured currents.  If the displayed waveform doesn't match, the parts are different.  Determining that a single part is good is more difficult.  For a capacitor, you would expect smooth curves or straight lines without bends or kinks.  Curve discontinuities would indicate a voltage breakdown, possibly because of reverse polarity problems.  You can use the curve tracer's higher voltage ranges to intentionally break down caps, and may be surprised how high a voltage a capacitor will take (for short times) without breaking down.

Is there a particular test that you are trying to perform on the ceramic capacitor?  My co-worker's favorite question is "What is the problem that we are trying to solve?"

Later,
Carl

Carl B. Van Wormer, P.E., AE7GD
Senior Hardware Engineer