TECHNET Archives

August 2016

From:
Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Bev Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Aug 2016 08:01:02 -0400
Graham,
One of the most important words you used in your reply was the word "might".
FTIR is a great tool, but not the ultimate tool, in fact I would go so far
to say that there is no ultimate chemical analytic tool, which drove bean
counters crazy when I would ask for yet another piece of lab equipment.  :)

The issue with conventional FTIR is that it CANNOT detect something like
sodium chloride (NaCl). NaCl is an ionic compound and has no covalent bonds
with a changing dipole moment that can interact with the infra-red beam of
the equipment. Now a good FTIR can detect something like ammonium (NH4+),
sulfate (SO4-2), nitrate (NO3-) ions because these polyatomic ions do have
covalent bonds that exhibit asymmetric bends and stretches.

So if you do suspect SIR or ECM failure and only use FTIR you are not going
to detect, for instance, alkali and alkaline earth halides, often the main
bad actors for ionic contamination.

If the issue is weak organic acid reside contamination, FTIR may be helpful.
However, the issue may then be that there are so many compounds present that
the spectrum is so complicated (crowded with peaks) that you and/or any
automatic program may not be able to make any sense out of it.

To finish off on FTIR, why did I use the word "conventional"? A nitrogen
purged FTIR with Mylar optics can "see" down to double digit wave numbers
and you could detect what are called lattice vibrations of purely ionic
salts.  But these pieces of equipment are still not common and very
expensive.

Ion chromatography is great if you know what you are looking for.  It is
great for separating out soluble materials.  But what do you do with peaks
that don't match the retention times of your reference compounds?  Or what
if you had an ionic material that is not very soluble?

I could come up with similar failings of something like Raman spectroscopy
or SEM/EDX.  Every technique has its advantages - and disadvantages.  There
is no one size fits all piece of analytical equipment.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Bev