TECHNET Archives

August 2016

From:
Wayne Thayer - EXT <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Wayne Thayer - EXT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Aug 2016 17:55:52 +0000
Thanks for the response Ben!

I think I've got a pretty complete understanding of the regulations now:

A harness wire is considered to have failed if the insulation is no longer adhered to the conductor, as evidenced by buckling on the inside of a bend. Hence conductor make-up, which has a huge effect on number of bend cycles the conductors can withstand, as well as how much work it takes to make it bend, doesn't have a large contribution to lamination failure.

For IPC/WHMA:

Table 14-1 lists a range of bend radii, depending on the cable type. I think Ben nailed it when he suggested that "unshielded wires" (5x allowable radius for larger wires) is multi-conductor cables, whereas "insulated wire" (2X diameter radius) is a single conductor.

For Aerospace:

AS50881 requires 10x wire diameter for wire bend radius, which drops to 3x wire diameter if the wire is fully supported, such as the portion contained entirely within a strain relief. ASTM F2639 applies this latter criteria to fully supported/secured harness service loops.

Waivers can be achieved on these bend radii by running the wire through the same set of torture tests that resulted in the 10x standard, which requires a combination of bake cycles and winding/unwinding the wire on a mandrel followed by visual and electrical testing to detect delamination of the insulation.

Wayne Thayer