TECHNET Archives

June 2016

From:
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2016 19:48:16 -0400
he should find a better vendor with application engineer that would
guide him through the process development.  he also should sign nda
with the vendor and disclose the application environment requirements
of the product and subsequent MFG process, to find out any
compatibility issues, e.g. some of the conductive epoxy swelling upon
expose to humidity.  if he is intended to use at low strength joints,
without flex, it is ok.  conductive epoxy has less mechanical
strength compare to the solder, and it is less forgiving to any
mechanical movement (including thermal mismatch).  The interface
between the conductive epoxy and what ever he try to bond also are
critical.  As for the sloppy application method, the good vendor
application engineer will tell you what is the best method to apply.
some of the product designed for dispensing, some are pad printing,
etc.  they are not the same.  As for prototype, anything goes, you do
what ever you can lay your hands on... but function only at room
temp, you need to do a good material/process development after you
prove the concept.  most likely, you will change the material to
"equivalent or better" for production with what ever the MFG
equipment in your production line or set up a platform for future...
you really can't skip a step....(doesn't  look like he  already has a
conductive epoxy interconnect platform established).  my 1.4 cents.
                jk