TECHNET Archives

June 2016

From:
Ken Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Ken Barton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2016 16:02:12 +0000
Greetings TechNet gurus,

Just arrived at my present employer charged with creating process for PCB/CCA libraries. We have a turnkey layout vendor, this relationship is somewhat problematic: Wrong footprints & component subs. We have absolutely no correlation with Orcad CIS & our MRP/ECAD system. All board components are using vendor PNs. So, I want to toss this out to all for a reality check: My experience over a wide range of OEMs I have worked for is to issue each component a "Company" 10 digit PN. All critical attributes will be entered & fall into CIS explorer. The MRP/ECAD we have has all capability for handling the mechanical AND electrical assy structures. As my employer is the first time I have seen vendor PNs go on EBOMs & released out into the wild, I've been informed that other huge companies have done the same.

Am I just an old guy using the "We always do it this way, it works?" I am willing to hear the pros & cons, has anybody else been in the middle of this?

Ken Barton
Technical Designer,
Vehicles & GSE/
Avionics HW