TECHNET Archives

June 2016

From:
Robert Kondner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2016 16:52:37 -0400
Hi,

I spent a LOT of time on this, some thoughts:

1. About CAD apps not supporting more than one vendor PN per item:

So True. CAD libraries are not very good database managers. Not the focus
for them. I have a single resistor in my schematic lib, the single standard
shape works for 0201 through 100watt. Caps I have 2 shapes, one polarized
and on regular. In PCB tools I have standard 0402, 0603, 0805, 1206 and 2515
footprints. So with this small handful of cad symbols I cover what, a couple
million parts? All the linkages (Atttributes for library folks) are in a DB.

I started with a P&V library long ago and built around it. As P&V closed
shop (real shame, it was a great product) I expended my functions am I now
and quite independent and don't use P&V now days.

The concept of an "Approved Vendor List" for a part idemands an internal
part number (or something) that all these Vendor, Manf, Vendor PN and Manf
PN can be linked to. And each of those entries need multiple cost entries.
(Prices at 1, 10, 100 and 5K for example). If you think that can be built in
a spread sheet environment forget it.

The selection of a parts based on availability / price is different than
defining a part for use in a circuit. Typically two different business
functions.

And it gets even more complicated when you have one assembly using another
assembly.

And you want to use "Surrogate Keys" as you build this puppy. This way you
can play with changing parts numbers without breaking lists at least in the
DB.

2.  Engineering data is important just as procurement data is important.

There are two big items, PCB Foot prints and datasheets. These are pretty
well matched for assigning to a company part number. You need to find thens
so search engines are required.

3. Stocking and finding things

I do a lot of engineering and might build 25 or 250 boards here and there. I
need stock for engineering purpose and then assembly stock. Engineering
stock with loose parts is nice but all assemblers want reels. So you end up
with multiple storage types. Add to this kits. I typically will build X
boards and all those parts go into a KIT. I like keeping track of what was
in kits when as when I need a part I often go grab something from a previous
old kit.

I did a lot of playing with what I call "Sort Codes" for managing the
location and storage of parts. Finally got one that seems to work well.

If anyone is interested they can look at www.partsync.com. I am delighted to
share what I know.

Bob K