TECHNET Archives

April 2016

From:
David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, David Hillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2016 08:22:28 -0500
Hi Gil - I am making the assumption that the Pd/Au is a fired metallization
layer that is part of the component ceramic body fabrication process. The
nickel is a soldering diffusion barrier to prevent the Pd/Au from being
leached off and you have SnPb layer for solderability. Pretty standard type
of plating stackup for a ceramic bodied component (i.e. precious metal
layer/diffusion barrier/solderable layer). I don't see this plating stackup
as causing you any issues. As always, ceramic body components can often
have CTE mismatch issues which impacts the solder joint integrity but that
is not an issue related to the plating stackup.

Dave