TECHNET Archives

April 2016

From:
"Lehmicke, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Lehmicke, Michael
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2016 14:31:16 +0000
There have been some valid points made as to the possible cause; Surface finish plating thickness and type of nickel, Type of copper used (Grain direction of RA copper should also be considered) and the amount of bending the flex sees. All of these items could be contributors.

There are also other items that could contribute; shape of copper trace as it exits the coverlay, copper thickness (and therefore tensile strength) the stiffener edge (generally a Polyimide stiffener is need to build flex up to ZIF connector spec thickness) on back side of flex in relation to coverlay opening edge, etc.

Based on the many possible contributors, the trick is to find out which ones apply to this application.

I would be curious to see a picture of the ZIF area that is cracked. If the picture includes the end of the flex, and the beginning portion of the coverlay and stiffener, One can many times determine the cause based on what the picture shows.

Mike Lehmicke
Project Engineer
Printed Circuit Products
Molex Incorporated
22 Empire Drive
St. Paul, MN 55103
651-846-7728

Warning - Information included in this email and /or in any attachments herein may be subject to the EAR (15 CFR 730-774) and/or ITAR (22 CFR 120-130) Regulations.

The recipient acknowledges their responsibility for compliance with all Export Administration Regulations & ITAR regulations regarding the handling and/or export of any Molex products and technical information; including the disclosure to any Foreign Nationals.