TECHNET Archives

April 2016

From:
Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Steven Creswick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Apr 2016 13:28:03 -0400
Ioan,

Please consider that my experience comes from a hybrid microelectronics
background and not from an SMT perspective, and in-general, we did not
attempt to print/stencil less than a 10 mil feature size.  You are in a
different ballpark altogether at 4 mil.  Using solder and (scary) flux
within a hermetic enclosure was akin to committing a sin because of the
ionics brought to the party.  That's not to say that power hybrids didn't
use solder, but we tended to use reducing atmospheres and fluxless
approaches.

I was thinking of the old Ablebond 36-2 (which is no longer available).  Its
minimum advertised cure temp was in the 130-150°C range, but yes, we kept it
in the 160-165°C range.  It was a great material, but was ionically too
'dirty' to meet the TM 5011 requirements.

The material properties of the material squeegeed onto the substrate will
change as well.  First things I can recall are tack and 'wetting'
characteristics.

My experience with low temp cure materials was there marked lack of thermal
stability, so in most applications requiring 125-165°C operational life, we
just couldn't use them.  Even for automotive (80°C) applications we stuck
with our higher temp favorites.

Dispensing would result in less exposed air-time, but would definitely
present issues of its own.

Could you use a low temp solder alloy like Bi or In?

I find it very hard to come up with a concise answer to your last question.
I remember stenciling 8-10 mil dots for Read/Write head e-blocks back in the
day, but we also found ways to dispense it quicker.  Adhesive would have
been a piece of cake!  My gut reaction is to say that the adhesive will
generally always be easier because one does not have the potential for
solids/flux segregation, and the adhesive is 'more homogeneous' and not a
bunch of balls suspended in viscous medium (it's just much much smaller
flakes and spheres suspended within an organic medium...   :-)  )  Does that
align with your thoughts?

Most adhesives, unless specifically developed with the intent of
screen/stencil printing (I think that is the key parameter here), just don't
have the required open-time properties that most solder pastes would have.
Pitting an adhesive solely intended for screen printing against a solder
paste would be a much better match/comparison.  With some of the new vehicle
systems and carriers nowadays, I'm thinking it could be a reasonable toss-up
as to which is better.  I'm sure there are some techies that can provide
much better insight than I.

Steve C