TECHNET Archives

April 2016

From:
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2016 00:13:07 +0000
While all of the answers you have received are essentially correct, webbing has always been used to describe solder stringing on the bottom side of an assembly as a result of wave solder strands or strings remaining on the unplated portions of the circuit board. This is usually caused by a lack of flux, but can also be caused by a low tin content in an Sn63 wave and other causes. Mike Fenner describes it well.
Splashes are from solder irons dropping  solder onto the CCA, either during a hand soldering operation or touchup/rework. They can also be caused by solder flooding onto the surface from being dragged across the wave too deep. Solder can plow over the front or leading edge, or come up through the various holes in the board to such an extent that they flood over the annular rings.