TECHNET Archives

April 2016

From:
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2016 15:48:25 +0000
Yes, and believe it or not, this actually has to do with much more than processing temperatures and even ties into a separate issue on the forum today, component and wire staking.
"Now how in the world are these two issues related?" you wonder.
The Tg of a certain PWB material slash type (as listed in IPC 4101) also relates to the particular laminate's coefficient of thermal expansion.
So if you are bonding many components or wires to a CCA during assembly, the adhesive you choose must have a similar CTE to the PWB. As an example, if you were to choose a hard Shore D type of material such as Loctite 3621, during subsequent thermal cycles such as rework, or curing conformal coating etc., the board can get hot enough to expand, enough to pop the component staking, cornerbonding, or wire staking right off the board.

So to kill two birds with a single posting,  consider the laminate slash type not only for processing, but also for other issues that could "pop up", so to speak. Certain bonding adhesives do not stick as well to a polyimide PWB material with a high CTE, compared to an FR-4 material with a much lower CTE.
One good wirebonding material that works well for both component staking and wire spot bonding (my favorite) is Scotchweld 2216. However, this may not be suitable for space use because it is not exactly a very low outgassing adhesive. But it is compatible for most conformal coatings, is relatively hard, but has a modulus of elasticity that can accommodate a significant PWB CTE, and has excellent resistance to chemicals and is extremely tough when cured (like the author of this post :-).

dean