TECHNET Archives

March 2016

From:
Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Mike Fenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Mar 2016 18:53:21 -0000
Also depends amongst other things what you want to do next and the plated
metal underneath. Possibly you could dissolve the white gold in some low
melting point alloy and then wicking/sucking that off. Might need a couple
of iterations. Use as small amount of low activity flux as helps the initial
wetting of the alloy to the plate but hopefully not the underlying base
metal. If that were nickel that might come clean, but copper would likely
wet. I think IBM [Switzerland] did some work on this using fusible alloys
and published. It was many (30?) years ago so locating their pre-internet
paper based on this sparse recollection might be problematic.
Alternatively if you are to solder the surface just do traditional double
flush with the alloy you are going to solder with.
Alternatively alternatively abrade it off.
--
Regards

Mike