TECHNET Archives

March 2016

From:
"Hill, Robert J" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Hill, Robert J
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2016 21:56:39 +0000
Tie bars are not usually the limiting factor.  Because of the short length they heat sink to the surrounding copper reducing their temperature.  In 2 oz. copper a 10 mil 150 mil long tie bar is good for 3.15 amps, so you would need 4 tie bars for 10 amps.  This about 3 times what a long trace could handle.  This is based on the tie bar rising about 10 degrees C over the adjacent area.

Robert Hill