TECHNET Archives

March 2016

From:
Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Jack Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2016 16:24:49 -0500
no, I'm not referring to vias.
I'm trying to solder a connector into plated through-holes.
IPC-A-600 7.3.5.1 allows a partial fill, see Figure 7-84

In the next section
IPC-A-600 7.3.5.2 requires wetting on the DESTINATION side
which implies the hole is FULL of solder

How can you have ANY destination side pad wetting on a PARTIALLY filled
(but still ACCEPTABLE) hole?
Those two seem incompatible, so I'm sure I'm misunderstanding.

What's worse is Figure 7-91, which shows a solder joint not wetted to the
lead.
How could you ever know how far down the UNWETTED portion extends into the
hole?
(It IS labelled as a defect, I agree, but it still might be 75% wetted down
the barrel)
So you have a 360 degree wetted pad labelled as a defect because you can
see the unwetted lead,
but how can you APPROVE a 75% filled hole that you CAN'T see if it is
wetted or not?

Jack